Saturday, May 30, 2020

The Books List, Part Four



20 Books I Would Recommend Reading, 5 Books I Wouldn't, and 50 from my Reading List 


The pandemic isn't over, and summer reading season is just getting under way, so it's definitely time for another Books List post!

My likes/loves: These are books that entertained me, moved me, taught me things, made me think, inspired me, and that I would heartily recommend. They are not ranked – they are merely in the order in which I read them.
  1. The Little Friend – Donna Tartt
  2. A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius – Dave Eggers
  3. Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes – Chris Crutcher
  4. Writing and Illustrating the Graphic Novel – Mike Chinn
  5. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time – Mark Haddon
  6. Gulliver's Travels – Jonathan Swift
  7. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring – J.R.R. Tolkien
  8. Fast Food Nation – Eric Schlosser
  9. The Weight of It: A Story of Two Sisters – Amy Wilensky
  10. Athletic Shorts: 6 Short Stories – Chris Crutcher
  11. Why Animals Sleep So Close to the Road (And Other Lies I Tell My Children) – Susan Konig
  12. Ironman – Chris Crutcher
  13. Nickel and Dimed – Barbara Ehrenreich
  14. Assassination Vacation – Sarah Vowell
  15. Whale Talk – Chris Crutcher
  16. Fahrenheit 451 – Ray Bradbury
  17. Animal Farm – George Orwell
  18. The Color Purple – Alice Walker
  19. Autobiography of a Face – Lucy Grealy
  20. Funny in Farsi – Firoozeh Dumas
My meh/yuck list: Did not find these appealing for any number of reasons – some were boring; some had an interesting subject but did not do it justice; some were flat-out terrible. All simply left me cold in some way. Although I am likely to read multiple books by authors I like (you will see a lot of Dean Koontz, Jonathan Kellerman, Margaret Atwood, Charles de Lint and Toni Morrison), I do not excuse those authors when they write a book I didn't like, so they might just show up here, as well.
  1. Childhood's End – Arthur C. Clarke
  2. The Midnight Club – James Patterson
  3. The Lottery and Other Stories – Shirley Jackson
  4. The Sheltering Sky – Paul Bowles
  5. The Satanic Verses – Salman Rushdie

My Reading List: these are books I haven't read yet, so I don't have a reaction for you. However, I could semi-recommend them, based on the reasons they made it onto my list:
  1. They were on one of those “100 Greatest Books” lists;
  2. They are other books written by authors I really enjoy; or
  3. I read a review, and it sounded like something I'd like.
#1 can be a bit hit-or-miss; #2 is almost (but not always) foolproof for me (but maybe not for you), and #3 usually works out pretty well, as it's a combination of the first two. As always, your results may vary, but consider them suggestions. These may tend to come in chunks of stuff by author (apologies).

  1. Along Came a Spider – James Patterson
  2. The Waste Land – T.S. Eliot
  3. Blue Blood – Ed Conlon
  4. Bleachy-Haired Honky Bitch – Hollis Gillespie
  5. Eats, Shoots, and Leaves – Lynne Truss
  6. The Rule of Four – Ian Caldwell and Dustin Thomason
  7. Red, Red, Robin – Stephen Gallagher
  8. Paradise Lost – John Milton
  9. Jurassic Park – Michael Crichton
  10. The Alienist – Caleb Carr
  11. Mr. Spaceman – Robert Olen Butler
  12. The Partner – John Grisham
  13. When the Music's Over: My Journey into Schizophrenia – Ross Burke
  14. The Book of Dead Birds – Gayle Brandeis
  15. Mrs. Dalloway – Virginia Woolf
  16. A Canticle for Liebowitz – Walter Miller, Jr.
  17. The Postman – David Brin
  18. Parable of the Sower – Octavia Butler
  19. I Am Legend – Richard Matheson
  20. Riddley Walker – Russell Hoban
  21. Brown Girl in the Ring – Nalo Hopkinson
  22. Numbered Accounts – Christopher Reich
  23. Blackburn – Bradley Denton
  24. The American Way of Dying – Jessica Mitford
  25. Him Her Him Again The End of Him – Patricia Marx
  26. The Spellman Files – Lisa Lutz
  27. Then We Came to the End – Joshua Ferris
  28. Monstering: Inside America's Policy of Secret Interrogations and Torture in the Terror War- Tara McKelvey
  29. Swim to Me – Betsy Carter
  30. The Big Turnoff – Ellen Currey-Wilson
  31. Mystery Walk – Robert McCammon
  32. The Strangers – Mort Castle
  33. When Science Goes Wrong – Simon LeVay
  34. Maximum Ride: School's Out Forever – James Patterson
  35. Maximum Ride: Saving the World and Other Extreme Sports - James Patterson
  36. Maximum Ride: The Final Warning - James Patterson
  37. Sundays at Tiffany's - James Patterson
  38. Sail - James Patterson
  39. The Dangerous Days of Daniel X - James Patterson
  40. The Varieties of Scientific Experience: A Personal View of the Search for God – Carl Sagan
  41. The Pillars of the Earth – Ken Follett
  42. Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life – Amy Krouse Rosenthal
  43. Bee Season – Myla Goldberg
  44. A Primate's Memoir – Robert Sapolsky
  45. Almost Human – Shirley C. Strum
  46. King's Dragon – Kate Elliott
  47. Prince of Dogs - Kate Elliott
  48. The Burning Stone - Kate Elliott
  49. Child of Flame - Kate Elliott
  50. The Gathering Storm - Kate Elliott

The other lists:





Some actual book reviews:



That's all for now; hope you find these lists useful as you think about things you might like to read.



No comments:

Post a Comment