Monday, May 30, 2022

Review of Your Head is a Houseboat by Campbell Walker, aka Struthless

 


I found Campbell “Cam” Walker, known online as Struthless, on YouTube a couple of years ago. I can't remember whether his channel was recommended by a friend or by YouTube's algorithm, which no doubt noticed that I was enjoying the channels of my fellow artists (whichever/whoever it was, thank you!!). I initially followed him because he had a lot of great art videos, but I noticed that besides having really good advice about producing art, he also just had really good advice, period, about life in general. I look forward to his videos about how to handle life as much as his videos about how to get past creative blocks or how to commercialize your art. I also enjoy the window that he allows us into his own life, and I have followed his successes with his art ventures and his personal growth, as well as his sweet and supportive relationship with his partner, Felicity.

And then, along with all his other projects, came the book, Your Head is a Houseboat. Feeling like I had derived so much value from watching his YouTube channel, I bought the book to offer my support. And just like his channel, the book has all the personality, the quirky flair, and the honest, down-to-earth helpfulness I've come to know and love from the Struthless channel. So now, here is my review, for those of you who would like to know more about the experience of reading Your Head is a Houseboat.

As with his videos, Cam starts out with a bit of a disclaimer in the foreword, which essentially says, “I'm not an expert, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but these are things that have worked for me and might work for you, too.” We then venture into the table of contents, which starts off with a bang, as Chapter One is called YOU'RE GOING TO DIE. I find this hilarious, because I know it's going to be a shot of philosophy and common sense in a let's-just-get-this-established-right-up-front kind of way. The contents are arranged in a very appealing way, with colorful graphic blocks.

This book is a very easy read. The pages are not dense with text, owing both to the delightful illustrations and also to the light, open font (it's not identified that I could see, but it looks like Century Gothic). So it's physically easy to read, but it's also easy to absorb and understand; there is plenty of information, but it's parcelled out in easy chunks in a conversational tone that is very much the way Cam presents in his Struthless channel videos. Things are explained with clarity but not a trace of self-importance; this is less like a lecture and more like advice from a friend who is really excited to share what he has learned with you so that you can enjoy the benefit, as well.

Your Head is a Houseboat is not just funny and entertaining, it is enlightening and helpful, as well. There are useful exercises in each section that you should absolutely do (not just initially, but any time you might need them), but even simply reading the book will provide you with very valuable insight into the inner workings of your very own houseboat and how to tidy it up so you can navigate that ocean out there. Oh, look at me, all caught up in the metaphor – well, it's catchy!


Link to the Struthless YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/struthless

Reviews of other books you might like:

https://bucketofuseful.blogspot.com/2016/04/review-of-almost-green-how-i-saved-16th.html

https://bucketofuseful.blogspot.com/2022/01/review-of-dexter-in-dark-by-jeff-lindsay.html

https://bucketofuseful.blogspot.com/2022/02/review-of-duma-key-by-stephen-king.html



No comments:

Post a Comment